When Your Dream Is Tested
You may not consider yourself a leader, but as John Maxwell says, “Leadership is influence.” That means you become a leader when you decide to influence others. A big part of leading others is thinking about the future: what you want to accomplish and what you want to become.
In today’s episode, we’ll continue to talk about our dreams and goals, and some of the situations we can expect to encounter as we work toward achieving our dreams.
In Genesis 37, God gives Joseph a dream but before that dream is realized, Joseph is tested. The trial Joseph faced was not something he expected but it was necessary for to become the man God wanted him to be.
Your Dream Will Require an Unknown Test.
- Going after your dream will require sacrifice you weren’t expecting, a trial you didn’t see coming that will surprise you.
- You’ll be tempted to wish God had given you a different trial to face.
- Stop wasting time and energy on wishing your trial was different and start believing that God will bring you through it.
Your Dream Will Require Time to Grow.
- You don’t get to pick what your trial will be, it’s your mountain to climb.
- Through the testing, God will build your character, if you let Him.
- No matter how painful the trail, God will use it to help you accomplish your dream.
Your dream wasn’t shattered, it was just tested. How you respond to the test is your choice. What you do with the adversity and heartache will make all the difference in the world.
1. Joseph didn't give up.
- He continued to work faithfully.
- He kept believing that God would fulfill his dream.
- You can’t give up either! God is still working.
2. “Recycle your pain.”
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-5
- God allows you to experience suffering so you can learn how to comfort others.
- Jesus will walk with you through the trial.
- What’s your main goal – the one thing you want to accomplish in the next 6 months? This is your “lag goal.”
- Now identify three smaller goals that will move you toward your lag goal. These are your “lead goals.”
- Remember, unexpected trials are inevitable. How will you respond?
Resources: Sign up for the TSL 5 to start receiving my monthly newsletter full of free resources, and immediately receive the Life Assessment Tool.
Next Episode: Forgiveness